Piano Power: Reprinted Cadences and a Free Finale Notepad Download
For the past two years, I've been writing an online theory
book along with other articles at MusicDish. Since most of my students
(both young and old) have limited theory backgrounds and are unwilling
to take the time to attend classes, I thought it would be a great idea
to develop an online resource to help them out. The project got off to
a good start, but started to bog down as I added more and more musical
examples to each article. Often times, when an article appeared in MusicDish,
the musical examples were blurry to the point of being unreadable. (See
the plagal cadence
For some time, I've been toying with the idea of writing interactive
articles that contained musical examples that could be downloaded by the
reader in a clear, readable format. Additionally, the reader would be able
to play back the examples and print them out. However, the cost of a decent
music-writing program like Finale 2002 is prohibitive for many people.
Now, a simple solution exists in a program called Finale Notepad
that is currently being offered by CodaMusic as a free download at: www.codamusic.com/coda/np.asp.
Notepad is a slimmed down version of Finale 2002, and has a fraction
of the capabilities of the latter. However, it displays and plays back
files that are written in Finale, and also allows the user to input music
manually by pointing and clicking on the staff.
My plan is to include Finale music files with all subsequent articles.
In addition, I've rewritten the musical examples from the above plagal
and authentic cadence articles and put them in Finale format. Please give
the new format a try.
To view the new files:
* Download the executable file of Finale Notepad to your hard drive from:
* Create a login name and password to enable downloading. You will be given
a serial number, which you should write down for future reference.
* Go to the folder that contains the Finale Notepad download and run the
program (FinNotePadWin2k2.exe for Windows, or, FinNotePadMac2k2.hqx for
MAC) to guide you through the setup procedure. You will then be asked to
restart your computer.
* After your computer has re-booted, return here and click one of the following
files: Plagal Cadences.Mus, Authentic
* Click on the ãSaveä button and save the file to your hard drive.
* Return to Finale Notepad and open the file.
To play the files in Finale Notepad:
* Click on the Window tab in the top menu bar.
* Scroll down and make sure that Playback Controls has a check mark beside
it. If it's not checked, left-click on it. The playback controls will appear
on the line below.
* Click on the Play button (a small green arrow) to hear the example.
To print the example:
* Press Ctrl-P and follow the directions.
I hope you enjoy using Finale Notepad. Be on the lookout for more
examples in future articles!