Record Store Day Sales Surge
Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year
Record Story Day 2014 was on Saturday, April 19. All sales figures are for the entire week, Monday-Sunday (week ending April 19, 2014) in the U.S.
"Record Store Day keeps shining the spotlight on the experience that Independent Record Stores uniquely brings to music fans," says David Bakula, SVP Client Development & Insights, Nielsen Entertainment. "Propelled by Record Store Day, Independent Record Stores had their highest weekly Physical Album share in SoundScan's history. It has become a major music event that that compels artists to deliver premium content and drives music consumers to Independent Record Stores."
Independent record store album sales increases by year (sales percentage increase over the prior week):
2014 (April 19, 2014): +91%
2013 (April 20, 2013): +59%
2012 (April 21, 2012): +27%
2011 (April 16, 2011): +39%
2010 (April 17, 2010): +12%
2009 (April 18, 2009): +21%
2008 (April 19, 2008): +0.4%
Independent Record Stores Highlights:
* Overall album sales (CD, LP, etc.) at Independent record stores were up 91% vs. the prior week and up 11% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year.
* Independent Record Stores represented 19.4% of the total national volume of all Physical Album sales this week. This is the highest share of Physical Album sales for the Independent stores since SoundScan started tracking sales by store strata.
* Vinyl LP sales at Independent record stores were up 280% vs. the prior week and up 58% vs. the week of Record Store Day last year. This is the most successful Record Store Day week for Vinyl LPs.
* Fueled by Record Store Day exclusives, Independent Record Stores represented 85% of the total national volume of Vinyl LPs this week. In 2013, Independent Record Stores sold 82% of the total national Vinyl LPs.
* This week represented the second-highest sales volume for the Independent Record Stores in a non-holiday week since 2008.
Vinyl LP Sales increased 176% this week over last week at all stores.
Sales of 12" Vinyl exploded this week increasing more than 3,100% over last week, and up 113% over the same week last year.
* RSD 2014 is the most successful Record Store Day ever for vinyl with LP sales up 58% over the week of RSD 2013.
* Vinyl LPs accounted for 52% of all album sales (CD, LP, other album formats) at Independent record stores this week. The week of RSD 2013, LPs accounted for 37% of all album sales at Independent record stores.
* Of the top 50 Vinyl LPs in the U.S. this week, 43 titles were either exclusive Record Store Day releases, or were widely released for the first time this week.
* The top 50 Vinyl LPs combined to sell 35% more copies this week than during the week of Record Store Day in 2013.
* 68 different Vinyl LPs sold more than 1,000 copies this week, compared to 17 Vinyl LPs with exceeding 1,000 copies sold during the week of last year's Record Store Day.
* YTD Vinyl LP sales are now up 36% vs. the same period last year and are on pace to exceed last year's record-high volume.
» Streaming & Listening Diversity - Spotify Case Study
» Pandora Subscriber Base Grows to Over 5 Million
» Music Industry Betting On VR & AR For New Revenue
» Sound Royalties Unearths Millions in Undistributed Royalties
» Indie Labels Represent Over A Third Of Global Recorded Music Market
Insider Scoop Directory
» [2017-12-06] Lithuanian Band Grabs Bronze At The Silk Road Indie Music Festival 2017; Antikvariniai Kašpirovskio Dantys Competed With Bands From Belgium, Sweden, Armenia, Germany, Japan, South Africa, India, Norway, Poland, Italy And The UK As Well As China
» [2017-12-06] Live Entertainment Specialists Headliner Launch Premium Artist Booking Service; A Fully-managed Service That Simplifies The Process Of Booking Renowned Artists And Performers For Occasional Event Planners, Agencies And Brands
» [2017-11-27] Voice-Controlled Speakers & The Music We Listen Too; Music Is A Major Part Of The Way Amazon Echo And Google Home Owners Interact With Their Devices
» [2017-11-21] Nordic & British Musicians' Unions' Joint Statement On Sexism In The Music Industry; Discussions On The Issue Of Gender Inequality, Sexism And Sexual Harassment, The Scale Of Which Had Been Highlighted By The Recent #metoo Campaign
» [2017-11-13] Women Make An Impact On The 2018 MPG Awards Shortlist; Nearly A Quarter Of Those Named This Year Are Female, Proving That Music Production Is No Longer A Bastion For The Boys
» [2017-11-13] The Nashville Musicians Sound Healthcare Plan Rolls Out; Sound Healthcare & Financial Announced The Formation Of A True Group Health Insurance Policy Plan For Musicians And Industry Professionals
» [2017-11-09] Streaming & Listening Diversity - Spotify Case Study; Will Artists Have An Easier Time Finding An Audience, Or Will Streaming Focus Global Attention On A Small Number Of Stars?
» [2017-11-09] Two-Sides Of Copyright Finance: Sound Royalties & Kobalt; Sound Royalties Unearths Millions In Undistributed Royalties While Kobalt Launches Fund To Invest In Music Copyright
» [2017-11-08] Career Moves: ROLI, Live Nation Sweden, Music Glue, BBR Music Group, Warner/Chappell Music Spain & Blue Night Soundscapes; ROLI Chief Creative Officer, Live Nation Sweden Managing Directors, Music Glue Global Head Of Business Development, BBR Music Group VP Of International, Warner/Chappell Music Spain Managing Director And Blue Night Director Of Music Clearance
» [2017-11-08] Europe's Digital Music Leaders Form Alliance; European Digital Music Companies Launch Of Digital Music Europe
» [2017-11-05] Pandora Subscriber Base Grows To Over 5 Million; Pandora Premium Paid Subscribers Cross The 1 Million Milestone In October 2017
» [2017-11-05] Hybrid Studios Announces Online Mastering Services; Engineers Billy Klein And Brian Frederick Spearhead New Online Mastering Effort Through OC Studio
follow MusicDish on